"Bloody, Battered and Beaten
But not Broken.”
I painted the piece above in response to reading the following…
- April 4, 2011 – Quinn Matney suffered 3rd and 4th degree burns to his wrist after being branded by an unidentified man for being gay. The attack happened while he was taking a night time stroll on his university campus in North Carolina.
- April 2011 – Kevin Pennington, a gay 28-year-old male, was kidnapped and severely beaten in a Kentucky park by two men shouting anti gay epithets.
- September 8, 2011 – Cameron Nelson, a 32-year-old gay man, was attacked at his place of employment in Utah.
- December 17, 2011 – Charlie Hernandez, a 26-year-old who was openly gay, was stabbed to death following a brawl that included anti-gay slurs that occurred with two men after he accidentally stepped on some sunglasses.
- February 2012 – Cody Rogers, an 18-year-old teenager, was brutally assaulted and targeted with homophobic slurs at a party after defending a female friend who was also attacked.
- April 21, 2012 – Eric Unger, a 23-year-old gay man living in Illinois, was attacked by a group of men on the way home from a party, while they shouted anti-gay epithets at him. The investigation is ongoing.
- May 2012 – Max Pelofske, a 21-year-old gay man, was beaten by a group of youths at a party in Minnesota. Pelofske claims it was a hate crime, but police disagree.
- June 5, 2012 – Kardin Ulysse, a black 14-year-old boy, was attacked in the cafeteria of Roy Mann Junior High School by another group of boys. He was called anti-gay slurs and sustained damage to the cornea of one of his eyes, leaving him blinded.
- May 17, 2013 – Mark Carson, a 32-year old black gay man,[was shot to death by another man who trailed and taunted him and a friend as they walked down the street in Greenwich Village, New York. When the two friends ignored the assailant’s questions, the man began yelling anti-gay slurs and asked one of them, “You want to die tonight?” Elliot Morales, 33, was arrested briefly after the shooting and charged with murder and weapons charges on May 19. According to police, Morales said he shot Carson because he was “acting tough”. Morales pleaded not guilty on June 19, 2013.
The above are a few of the documented hate crimes committed towards young gay men between 2011-2013 within the United States…
Many of these hate crime cases are over looked simply due to the fact that the victims are homosexual males…
Now think about these issues multiplied by the rest of the world’s countries.
Then factor in that in many of these countries homosexuality is punishable by law and in some cases even punishable by death.
Keep in mind that these do not include cases with Homosexual Men over the age of 32, Lesbians, Bisexuals, Transgender, Bigender or Genderqueer individuals around the world.
And yet somehow so many people still fail to grasp the gravity of Anti-Queer sentiment…
This is what happens when you dehumanize a person.
People forget to care.